Giovanni "Gio" Ponti (1891-1979) was an Italian architect, industrial designer, furniture designer, artist, and publisher. Ponti graduated with a degree in Architecture in 1921 from the Politecnico did Milano (Polytechnic University of Milan).
He began his architectural career in partnership with Mino Fiocchi and Emilio Lancia from 1923 through 1927, and had multiple partnerships throughout his career. During the 1930s he was influenced by and associated with the Milanese neo-classical Novecento Italiano movement. He designed buildings for various large Italian manufacturers and educational institutions, including offices for Fiat, the Pirelli skyscraper in Milan and and the Palazzo del Liviano for the University of Padua, in which Ponti himself painted frescos. He also received international commissions Caracas, Venezuela, Baghdad, Hong Kong, Eindhoven, Netherlands and the Denver Art Museum.
In 1923 Ponti made his public debut in industrial design at the first Biennial Exhibition of the Decorative Arts in Monza, Italy. He designed ceramics for Manifattura Ceramica Richard Ginori and Sesto Fiorentino and Ideal Standard, a line of furnishings for the Rinascente department stores, under the name Domus Nova, seating for Cassina, glass objects for Venini and lighting for Fontana Arte and Artimide.