Ursula Klasmann was born in Tallinin, Estonia in 1930. She studied commercial and industrial design under Oswald Haerdtl at the Universität für Angewandte Kunst (University of Applied Arts) in Vienna.
From 1955 to 1985 Klasmann worked at as a designer at Augarten Porcelain, revolutionizing the design of tabletop. The ideas and designs of the ‘50s broke away from traditional rigidity and instead awakened a buoyant lightness and vitality. Her new design language was exhibited at the Triennial in Milan in 1960 and even won an award at the craft fair in Munich in 1965. With “Klasman” the artist’s aim was to design a white service in which all the pieces formed a consistent whole.